Monday, May 25, 2009

Of Mice and Men...In Review

John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men...

Hmm.What to write?

I cannot figure out why, but this was one of my favorite books we have read in class this year. This particular novel takes place during the Great Depression near Soledad, California. The drastic difference between the way of life for Lennie and George, the two main characters, and how I live intrigues me. I am unfamiliar with the challenges of managing money so that expenses for living space, food, and other necessities fit into a $50 a month budget. I have never had to worry about finding or keeping a job, or looking out for an over-sized, trouble-prone "kid" who means well but always ends up causing harm.

So, without completely understanding all the hardships he faces, I sympathize with George and the monsterous kid Lennie
.

No comments: