Monday, May 25, 2009

House On Mango St.

The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros, is a collection of descriptions of a neighborhood and life in general through the eyes of Esperanza, a hispanic girl, as she grows from pre-teen to young adult.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the writing style used by Cisneros. While the reading is not a challenge, the inferring and connecting required to comprehend some of what Cisneros is portraying is difficult. The racial descrimination against hispanics was evident, but I did not realize, until I was nearing the end of the novel, that Esperanza was getting older. The end did not come together as well as I hoped it would, leaving me slightly unsatisfied. Although I was not fond of this book, the unique writing style was a pleasant change from the norm.

I would only recommend this book for someone who is specifically looking for books about different cultures/social groups...not for just leisure reading.

No comments: