Thursday, April 16, 2009

Manor-- no Animal Farm

George Orwell's Animal Farm frustrated me. I could not get over the animals' ignorance. They blindly follow the inconsistent laws created by their "Leader, Comrade Napoleon", a selfish, sly, yet incredibly intelligent boar.

The whole novel parallels the Russian Revolution, with characters such as Napoleon and Snowball, another power-hungry boar, representing the corrupt leaders Stalin and Trotsky, respectively. Having no prior knowledge of these leaders' roles in history, reading this book gave me insight on their strong personalities.

My favorite character of all is Benjamin, a cranky old donkey who, for the most part, keeps to himself. He is more intelligent than he leads on, and knows better than to trust anyone other than Clover and Boxer, two horses to which he is infallibly devoted.

Animal Farm constantly involves dramatic irony. Knowing the animals' were constantly being tricked and lied to caused me to dislike reading this book. While I did learn quite a bit about history, I would not recommend this book.

No comments: