Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thoughts on Sci-Fi

Before studying about sci-fi in class, hearing the term sci-fi made me picture a waist-high, metal robot with a digitally displayed mouth and eyes, which did not interest me in the least. Now, having escaped that stereotype, I find most science fiction acceptable, however, reading some sci-fi seems like a huge waste of time.

At first, reading the novel The Time Machine by H.G. Wells was unappealing to me. The beginning was hard to follow; I kept having to read the same paragraph to remember what I had just read. As the plot developed, the reading got easier and the story became intriguing. The novel captivated my attention, and I no longer had to work at staying focused. For me, The Time Machine is an example of the better kind of science fiction.

I had opposing thoughts on "The Machine That Won the War" by Issac Assimov and "The Water Trader's Dream" by Robert Priest. I might have appreciated "The Water Trader's Dream" slightly more if it had not been written as a poem, but I found "The Machine That Won the War" to be thoroughly distasteful.

1 comment:

Tammy Gillmore said...

You used multiple paragraphs! Yours is the first that I have read that followed this direction! So much easier to read!

Thank you!